Self-tiling is a great option if you’re looking to save money and spend time working around your own schedule. There are no labour related costs as you’re doing the work, you can take your time moving furniture and tiling each space in easy, manageable steps.
While tiling your home might seem daunting at first, Beaumont Tiles is here to help. From our online resources to expert in-store advice, we’ll get your design or renovation looking good every time.
Key steps to DIY tiles
- Decide where you want to place plumbing and mark it out in the space.
- Measure your space and calculate how many tiles you need (adding 10% for cuts, breaks and spares).
- Make sure you have the right tools and adhesives to suit your tiles and tiling surface.
- Prep your space by cleaning all tiling surfaces and apply the required sealants, waterproofing and primers.
- Make sure your tiles are dry and free of any dust or debris.
- Mix your adhesive according to the instructions and apply using a notched trowel, spreading horizontally.
- Press down firmly to ensure the tile adheres to the surface. DO NOT attach tiles if adhesive has dried to form a skin.
- Use spacers to set the width of your grout line.
- Use a spirit level to ensure wall and floor tiles are level.
- Make your tile cuts using a tile cutter or nippers for smaller jobs.
- Let the tile adhesive dry for 24 hours before grouting.
- Massage the grout into joints and smooth off with a grouting float.
- DO NOT use grout for wall and floor joins and wall corners, run a silicone bead along these areas.
- Wipe the tile surface with a damp sponge once a dry film forms.
Check out our DIY guides for more detailed information related to each space in your home, including bathrooms, kitchens, main floors and outdoors.
Other Tile and Self-Tiling Benefits
Tiles are a safe and practical option for any space in your home. They are easy to clean, slip-resistant and an allergy-friendly surface.
You’re not only saving money by self-tiling, you’re investing in a durable product that requires very little maintenance in the long-run. To ensure the appearance and longevity of your tiles, take a look at our Tile Care page.
With a 10 year guarantee on all our first grade tiles, you can rest easy knowing you have the best products at the best prices.
We recommend that you speak to one of our staff members when selecting your tiles and adhesives. Our products meet specific wear ratings and requirements, so it’s important to use the appropriate products for your space.